Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Dress


I wrote this on Saturday, but didn't have a chance to post.  :-)



Today I shop for a dress. Not any dress. The dress I will wear when my son Matthew gets married. Gone is the young boy who came to me not sure of my place or his own. Gone are the days of finding my place in his heart. I know I have my very own. Gone are the days of needing rides to school and activities, of needing permission for adventures and journeys of his childhood. Gone are the days of packing a fun bag for field trips with school or band. Gone is that little boy.










God brought Matt to me when he was a young teenager, he created our family in an unconventional way.  He blended us together and gave me a admiration and bond with my husband's children that would ensure I would love them as my own.  I certainly do.











 For the past eight years, I have enjoyed being Matt's parent, his cheerleader, guider and as best I can, protector.  Sometimes, although too often in my opinion, I am even his emergency room treatment coordinator.  :-)   









Matt brings an element of childlike fun and laughter to our family that is rivaled only by his dad.  Sometimes I think they are in competition to see who can be the silliest.  Ashley and I both have our hands full trying to keep those two in check.












The young boy who came to me many years ago has now been replaced by a strong and confident man. Before me stands a man who has set his sights on the Lord and his energies on becoming a husband and provider. I am so proud of the man he has become and the choice that he made in a bride. I am blessed to call them both my children and thankful to be a part of their new journey.


So today I shop for a dress. Not any dress. The dress I will wear in one of the most precious memories of my lifetime.


1 comment:

Ashley said...

I just saw this post! Love it! & I love all of the old pictures of Matt - some of them I hadn't seen before. I can't wait to be his wife & am so blessed to have you as a MIL.