Monday, May 6, 2013

Not a saint, just a mom.

It's so easy to hold ourselves up to a June Cleaver idea of motherhood.  I find myself measuring my success by standards created in movies, television and the expectations of others.  In reality, I'm not like any of those moms - I am me.  

I am a different kind of mom.  I now have eight children, yes I said e-i-g-h-t.  I have children that I gave birth to, I have children who my husband gifted to me when we married almost 9 years ago and children who chose to marry in to this crazy family of ours.

Do I love them differently?  Honestly, yes.  

I love each and every one of them differently.  I have a different relationship with each of them and they all need me in different ways.  They each hold a separate place in my heart, which overflows with love for them all.

Back to motherhood.  If I could share a word of advice for us all - be the mom that your kids need.  Not the one your neighbor's kids need, or the one you think has it all together.  None of us have it all together, I promise.  We need not idolize one another.  We need to encourage one another and definitely share experiences so that we can learn from each other. 

When it comes to my crew - I have reminders for myself.  They help me to keep perspective on my failures and successes as a mom.

I have to remind myself that I am not called to be their best friend, although I want to always be the one they can confide in.  I need to give them honest guidance with love.

I am not called to fix all of their pains,
although I would really, really like to.

I am not called to be the mom that's on TV,
she's not really getting to know her kids anyway.

I am not called to create one standard of love and apply it equally to my kids,
that would surely alienate half of them.

I am called to show them love - in the way they would like to receive it.

I am called to remind them to trust the Lord - he alone will show them the way.

I am called to teach them that family is important - time together is a worthy investment.  

I am called to pray for them - each and every day, I call them by name and ask the Lord to bless them. In the past year I've added 3 names to my list!

I am called to celebrate them and their successes - there are so many of both, we can party all the time.

I am called to love my husband and show them how wonderful marriage can be.

I am called to put God in charge and let his love flow in my words and actions with my kids.

God bless them each and every one: Chris, Matt, Ashley, Josh, Sarah, Katie, Dillard and Tyler.
You each make this wild ride - so worthwhile.

Love,
Mom Kayti




No comments: