Tuesday, May 7, 2013

She fits just fine.

On Mother's Day 2012, Josh came home to tell me something very, very important.  I could see it on his face.  He was waiting for me in the kitchen.  He looked thrilled and excited like a small child - only he is actually six foot tall now (mom sigh - he's grown up so fast).  He took me by the hands and told me that "she" was the one.  He wanted to marry Sarah and spend every day building a life with her.  More about Sarah in just a minute.

Okay, back to standing in the kitchen with Josh.  He loves Sarah and wants to be her husband... What do you say to that?  I cried of course.  I hugged him tight and we celebrated.  Then we celebrated some more.  I think we celebrated Josh and Sarah's engagement for months on end.  Right up until their surprise wedding...LOL.


Sarah fits right in to our crazy family.  She was made for us.  If you walked in to my house for a Sunday dinner, you might have a hard time guessing who was born in to this family and who wasn't - or who came first and who came last.  Our family is a beautiful patchwork of loving decisions.

She was born in April.  Sarah joined both me and Ashley in the April birthday marathon.  She likes to party.  Actually, most times she brings the party with her wherever she goes.  Sarah can be silly.  She has been known to wear an end table on her head, breakdance in the living room and please don't ever dare her to eat anything weird.  Sarah is up for the challenge.  She says what she thinks, most times her honest thoughts just come tumbling out of her mouth.  Her Aunt Melissa would tell you, it's her favorite part of Sarah.



Sarah rarely slows down, but when she does - I enjoy hearing her perspective on life and all things Green Cove Furlongs.  She loves my son (deep sigh - grateful mom).  Sarah's hearts desire is to be a good wife, a desire that bonds me to all of my daughters now.

Sarah is a natural in the kitchen and walks through the door announcing her readiness to help.  I hear she got this from her momma, who went to heaven when Sarah was younger.  Cooking comes easily to her - give the girl a cookbook and she is unstoppable.  I find myself looking forward to the picture messages of her newest creation from her Gaga's cookbook.




Sarah's entrance in to our family was very different from my first DIL, Ashley's -  who I had the opportunity to adore for many years before she and Matt were engaged.  Sarah came in like a force of nature.  Standing in that kitchen celebrating with Josh last year, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew that I could rest assured that God was in control, that this was a part of his perfect plan.  I knew that I could trust Josh's decision.  He can be soft spoken at times however he is extremely determined and had already prayed for discernment.  It was decided.  I was thrilled for our family, yet still unsure how this would change us all.   

Mother's day 2013 is the anniversary of what became a whirlwind year of life and love decisions for the Furlong family.  We've expanded by leaps and bounds.  On this anniversary, one year later, I can tell you - 

We needed Sarah more than she needed us.  She fits just fine.




No comments: